Friday, June 3, 2011

On the topic of birthdays

Yesterday was my birthday, I am 29 years of age. I don't really understand the deal with birthdays. People seem to think on their birthday everyone needs to be nice to them. In addition, they think it is a license to do whatever they want (like diplomatic immunity). Personally, I would much rather people are nice to me for 2 minutes a day all year, but that is just me. It is not that I dislike birthdays, it is just that I don't understand the big deal once you are past the age of 12. I think you should get to celebrate birthdays 1-12, 18, 21, 50, 100, and all birthday's after (I am sure I stole this idea from somebody, I am not saying it is my original idea). It would make them more meaningful. However, this is not a blog complaining about birthdays. In the spirit of remembering the past 29 years of my life, I decided I would put into words some of my most memorable birthday events.

Best Birthday Present
This is a tie. The car I got when I was 16 ranks up there (1986 Cutlass Supreme with a lift kit and rally rims).I just remember how amazing it was to me that I was free to drive wherever I wanted. I could come and go as I pleased, do whatever I wanted! My first trip, Maid-Rite with Melissa Moore (I was sure this care was going to open up a whole dating scene for me). Also, I did not have a provisional license (I made it under the cut off by 1 month), so I was unleashed on the fine community of Newton with no strings attached. I would like to say that car opened up a ton of doors socially for me (specifically with the ladies), but alas, I was still an awkward over weight teen (I have only marginally shook the awkward stuff), though much more mobile. However, that care treated me well for 2 years and I still smile when a see an Cutlass with a high school kid in it. I hope they enjoy their car as much as I enjoyed my first.

The other great present I got was our dog Murphy (I was 25 I believe). Murphy is a mutt from the shelter and is one of the more interesting dogs I have ever came across. He is high strung, needy, and has an ear-splitting beagle bay. I love that dog. Even though he can get annoying, we can all agree it is great to be needed.  Also, I swear his coat is made of velvet (he is a pleasure to pet).

Worst Birthday Present
One year my great grandma gave me a Barney bank, I was 13, enough said.

Best Birthday Party
I wish I could say it was my 21st or 18th birthday, but I have had a history of lackluster "parties" on my adult birthdays (more on that in "worst" birthday parties). But, the best party I can remember was my 10th birthday party. I got to invite like 15 friends. I remember I got a ton of great presents,which really is 90% of what a good birthday is when you are young. We played pin the nunchuck on Michelangelo (the ninja turtle), my dad actually drew and cut out Michelangelo and the nunchucks. Then my parents orchestrated a water gun fight in the basement. My family did not have a lot of money growing up, so I think this was their way of giving me a great birthday party on a shoe string (it was amazing).  Somewhere there is VHS of that party, I think it would be fun to watch. 

Worst Birthday Party
 This one is super easy. My 21st birthday I was working in Larchwood Iowa, running a summer day camp. Somehow (I am still not sure how this got worked) I ended up living with a 65 year old bachelor farmer. This gentleman didn't drink, or talk, or really even like me, but he lived in what I consider a haunted house (a tale for another time). As you can assume from the story, I knew no one in town and "Jeb" was not up for a raucous 21st birthday. So I did what any newly minted 21 year old, self-respecting college student would do, I ended up buying a 12 pack of Schlitz (the only thing they had at the gas station in Larchwood, Iowa) and drinking it in my room in his haunted house. It may be the sadist 21st of all time. On the upside, this did begin my love-affair with Schlitz and drinking by myself.  












Conclusions
 I really wish I had some grand thought to pull this blog together. I don't. I guess, maybe I should just say thank you for all the kind messages my friends have sent me over the last few days. Thank you, it means a lot. Maybe in a year (when I am the big 3-0) I will be a year wiser and a able to write a big life lesson about birthdays. Or, maybe next year I will get a make up for the 21st birthday I never got. Who knows? I got a whole year ahead of me to anticipate.

Bill

4 comments:

  1. I will forever associate that cutlass with the Sublime album that never seemed to leave the cd player in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the "Worst Birthday" story, it was the highlight of my day thus far. A couple interesting factoids about birthdays: my friend Eric said that during his time in Iraq, whenever they asked the locals their age or birthday, they looked at them quizzically and with irritation as if to say, "Why would you even want to know that?" It just wasn't important for them to mark birthdays. And historically, I'd mark history's "worst" birthday present, more accurately the most tragic birthday party, as the time Herod the tetrarch (not the one from the Christmas story) had John the Baptist beheaded during his birthday party. So the celebrations go back at least that far in history. The more you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw your blog... Memories!! First car, birthday parties, being there when you adopted Murphy....Good times !!! By the way I disliked Larchwood too! You couldn't get out of there fast enough for me !! I think the place was haunted and that guy was Odd !!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry I missed it....HAPPY BIRTHDAY! you will definitely have to celebrate the big 3-0!! well I didn't but you know 30 is the new 20!

    ReplyDelete