Sunday, November 7, 2010

An easily explained weight gain...

Another not so comprehensive list of places I have eaten in Denver:

FreshCraft
I ate at FreshCraft for lunch and got the  Mole Bello Tacos, they are vegan and pretty good (specifically the Mole sauce). A couple cool things about FreshCraft.
  1. The owners are from Iowa
  2. They have suggestions for what types of beer to pair with your food (for each plate). 
  3. They have a fair amount of vegetarian options
All and all it was great.

D'Corazon
They have a big sign on their window that says, "Best Mexican Food in LoDo (Lower Downtown)", there is also a line out the door at lunch almost every time I walk by. I decided to test it out. The restaurant is small, loud, and the tables are extremely close to each other. The food on the other hand was outstanding. I got the Huevos Rancheros (if you know much about me, the first thing I order when I try a new Mexican restaurant is the H.R.s). They came covered in a green chili sauce that was pretty hot and delicious. The eggs were perfectly cooked (over easy). The salsa that came with the chips was a green chili salsa and may have been the best I have eaten anywhere. Sari got a chimichanga and Amanda got a burrito. They seemed to enjoy them. The price's were also good. Finally, I never made it to the bottom of my diet coke before it was refilled. Great Place!

Rio Grand
This is the restaurant my friend Greg has been telling me to go to since I have been here. Mainly for the margaritas. So, I finally went. The margs (that is what cool people call them) were pretty good and strong. He has told me there is a limit of 3, I didn't make it that far. The Huevos Rancheros were good (not as good as D'Corazon), but cheaper. The restaurant was bigger, not as loud, and better decorated than D'Corazon. Interestingly enough, D'Corazon had a posted 3 marg limit, and is right across the street. I smell a turf war! 

Little India
We were craving some Indian food after we had a big presentation for our postdoc positions. On good advice, LI was suggested as, "some of the best Indian food in town." Now I will admit that I am from a small town in Iowa, so my knowledge of what constitutes good Indian food is lacking. However, Sari (a fellow postdoc of Indian descent) came along and gave her feedback. We went to the lunch buffet. The food was hot and rotated out quickly. I believe the cost was only 8$, so the price was right. There was a great variety of food, most of which I cannot name or spell, the my favorite was Spinach Paneer. The restaurant was clean and the staff was friendly. I ate so much I was sick, just the way I like my buffets. Sari said the food was on par with what you would expect from some of the better Indian restaurants in D.C. (so there is that). It was def. on par with The India Palace in Ames.

Other Points of Interest:

Edge MMA and Fitness
I was finally back to grappling for about 3 weeks at Edge MMA and Fitness (formally Grapplers' Edge), and was enjoying it. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful. It is a very different style of grappling than what I was used to in Iowa (no gi, less emphasis on sweeps, more emphasis on take downs and submission). However, I hurt my knee last Tuesday and am in the process of identifying what is going on. I am getting an MRI and that should inform me as to what my next steps will be (e.g., little more rest, therapy, surgery). The doctor said he would suspect a torn meniscus, strained/torn MCL, or a strained/torn ACL. The take home message is, Edge is a great place to train so far.

Until later...

No comments:

Post a Comment