Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Rolling Stones gather no moss.... (alternate title: Not so Tangled-Up in Blue)

It would be a lie to say I am back to feeling like my normal self. I am much better than I was a week ago. But, I am still trying to get my "groove" back. I have been making pretty good progress on all of the items I put forth in my blog a week ago. I have turned in my second article to my co-author and am waiting on her to give me feedback. I also have some prospects on the part-time job front (one as a coordinator for bar trivia, the other raising money for non-profits). I am also making great progress on major project stuff related to my post-doc. So, I am keeping active, which I think is pretty important.

However this blog is less about that and more about something else I have been doing to get out of my funk. And that is, Groove Shark. What is Groove Shark you might ask? Well, it is an online music streaming site (think Pandora). But unlike Pandora, you can pick your songs at Groove Shark without having to purchase the upgraded version. My friend Stimpy's comment, "Mind = Blown."

You may be saying to yourself, "certainly their song selection is limited if they are just giving it away for free." I have yet to stump the Shark. It is impressive to say the least.

So how does this all tie in? Well, music makes me happy and it gets me going when I don't feel like...going. On the days where I have felt the most down, I have always been able to improve my mood a little bit by turning on some music. It doesn't fix my home sickness, but it certainly has helped more than I would suspect.  I hope it does the same for you.

P.S. If you are looking for suggestions
  1. Seems to wanna hurt by Donna the Buffalo
  2. Angry Words by Willy Porter
  3. Give me Shelter by the Rolling Stones
  4. Anything by Bob Dylan
  5. Same for Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin 
  6. The Shins
  7. Muse
  8. Greatest Man that Ever Lived by Weezer
  9. Also My name is Jonas
  10. Possum Kingdom by the Toadies
  11. Highway Chile, Castles made of Sand, Cross Town Traffic, etc. by Jimi Hendrix
  12. Pig by Dave Matthews
  13. Animal by the Neon Trees
  14. 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (Really anything by them)
  15. Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus
  16. Jalopy Style by Citizen King
  17. White Stripes
  18. Sublime (self titled album and Forty Ounces to Freedom)
  19. Mason Jennings
What did I miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment